In the following scenario, the user requires fast and reliable replication of large amounts of data from a Premise based deployment to the Public Cloud. This may be for any of the following reasons:
- Copying data for disaster recovery purposes
- 3rd level Archival of backup data
- Data Migration to the Public Cloud
Unfortunately, limited WAN and internet throughput due to latency, congestion and other factors have thus far made using the cloud ineffective for these purposes. It would simply take far too long to copy the vast amount of data required to the public cloud. SoftNAS® SnapReplicate™ and UltraFast™ will change the game. Together, they provide high-speed transfers across any distance, optimizing traffic in both directions, negating congestion and throughput concerns.
Integrating SoftNAS® UltraFast™ with SnapReplicate™
Integrating SoftNAS Replication over UltraFast™ is no more difficult than setting up SnapReplicate™ on a standard SoftNAS instance. This is because SoftNAS will automatically send replication data across the UltraFast pipeline, provided configuration is correct on both end-points.
- First, configure storage on the on-premise (VMware) instance. This is the storage that will serve as the source data to be replicated to the Cloud. Configure ZFS disks, storage pools and volumes as described in the latter half of VMware: Getting Started with SoftNAS Cloud.
- Configure Cloud Storage, also as described in the Local Storage information mentioned above. Configure disks, and the storage pool to mirror the Premise instance, but do not configure volumes. Again, if the instance is not yet configured as an UltraFast instance, apply the custom update via the custom update URL.
- Create a connection from the UltraFast™ source (Premise) to the public-facing Internet IP address of the UltraFast target (Cloud).
- Configure SnapReplicate, by navigating to SnapReplicate/SNAP HA™ from the Storage Administration panel.
- Click Add Replication, click Next on the welcome screen.
- Provide the public IP address of your replication target, and complete the remainder of the wizard, similar to the process used for configuring UltraFast™.
- Monitor performance in the UltraFast™ performance dashboard. Set up Speedtest, and compare results according to instructions in Comparing Results: UltraFast vs TCP.