Configure SNAP HA™ to perform Manual Takeovers and Givebacks.
Setting Up Manual Takeover and Giveback
When a takeover is initiated, the SNAP HA™ Controller will ensure that data is not being written to a node in the process of a switch over. This will avoid the split brain condition.
The HA controller will authorize the switch over, reassign the IPs, and change the primary/secondary designation for the SoftNAS® instances. Also, as part of the takeover the problematic instance is shutdown.
Note: In the case of any failure, it is very important to ensure that all data has been fully synced before performing the takeover or giveback actions. Note in the example below that the current state is listed as "DELTASYNC-UNDERWAY". Under no circumstances should you perform a takeover or giveback operation until Deltasync appears as completed.
Ensure all synchronization activities have been completed before performing the operation.
- From the SoftNAS StorageCenter™ interface of the good node, navigate to the SnapReplicate™ panel.
- Click on Actions>Takeover. Confirm at the prompt.
- The takeover process begins. This process will shut down the source node and allow the target to take over as primary. After the process has completed successfully, the good node will display as the HA Primary.
- After the problematic node has been fixed, bring the node back up.
After rebooting the node shut down by the takeover process, perform a Giveback from the secondary instance to allow the SNAP HA™ controller to safely and securely perform the switch over to protect data integrity. Ensure all synchronization activities have been completed before performing the operation.
- From the SoftNAS SnapReplicate™ screen, click on Giveback.
- Confirm the action by clicking Yes.