Before setting up SNAP HA™, set up SnapReplicate™ according to the guidance in Setting up SnapReplicate. If configuring Dual Controller HA™, remember that it applies only to shared object storage, and is automatically configured via the below methodology after selecting Shared Pool prior to creating your storage pool.
For more detailed setup instructions, check SNAPReplicate.
Setting Up SNAP HA™
- From the SoftNAS SnapReplicate panel, click on Add SNAP HA™.
- Click Next on the Welcome screen.
- Select the type of High Availability type to be used.
- Virtual IPs: SoftNAS Cloud® is now deployable in a fully private VPC subnet. This configuration has two advantages - no public facing IP addresses makes storage more secure, and no inbound bandwidth charges from AWS. This is the recommended setup for a more secure deployment.
- Elastic IPs: This is the traditional method of connecting AWS SNAP HA™. If using EIPs, SoftNAS Cloud® can only be deployed in a public VPC subnet. AWS EIPs are leveraged to provide failover. Additional charges by AWS are incurred for inbound bandwidth
- Add the Elastic or Virtual IPs of both the primary and secondary instances when prompted by the SnapReplicate interface. As the Virtual IP option is recommended, it is shown below. The screen will be nearly identical for Elastic IPs. When creating your Virtual IP, be sure that the IP chosen lies outside the chosen CIDR block selected for the two replication nodes.
- Provide the administrator credentials if prompted.
- Click on Finish.
At this point SoftNAS Cloud® will do all of the heavy lifting that is required to establish HA, without the need for any user intervention. The process may take several minutes. After completion, the High Availability SoftNAS Cloud® pair has been successfully set up across Availability Zones.
Note: SoftNAS strongly recommends to further safeguard against data loss without compromising performance by creating a write log, or ZIL. For instructions on how to configure a ZIL/write log, see Configuring Read Cache and Write Log.