If migrating a high availability pairing of SoftNAS instances , it is not as simple as using the one-click update on each side of the pairing. In order to preserve replication, and achieve a seamless migration, the following additional steps are required.
In this knowledge base article, we will provide you clear instruction on how to perform a successful software update from an HA pairing to the latest version.
Sequence to upgrade and HA pair
- Go to your browser, and log into the first VM in your pairing. Let's call it Node A. Once logged in, navigate to SnapReplicate/SNAP HA in the left hand panel called Storage Administration.
- Click Replicate Now. Confirm completion of the replication.
- Once replication is confirmed, return to Node A, and navigate to the SnapReplicate / SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Deactivate.
- Next, in your browser once more, enter the IP of Node B, and log in. Navigate to Settings/Software Updates and click Apply Update. Confirm the opdate is successful and refresh the browser.
- Return to Node A via your browser, and log back in (if not still logged in). Again, navigate to the SnapReplicate/SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Activate.
- Move to Node B (via another browser tab or window, and navigate to the SnapReplicate/SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Takeover. Node A will shut down and Node B will be promoted to Primary.
- In the AWS console (or VMware Vsphere, if applicable), start Node A. Confirm Node A is up, then proceed to the next step.
- Once back on Node B, navigate to the SnapReplicate/SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Deactivate. In some versions below 18.104.22.168, you might find that the Deactivate button is grayed out. If so, simply click Activate, then Deactivate.
- Open the SoftNAS web UI for Node A, navigate to Settings/Software Updates and click Apply Update.
- Confirm the Update is successful and refresh the browser.
- Open your browser to the SoftNAS web UI for Node B, and navigate to the SnapReplicate/SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Activate.
- The system will then automatically synchronize via a forced sync.
If migrating a version of SoftNAS lower than 3.3.3, refer to the following knowledgebase articles in order to upgrade.
- [SoftNAS KB]: Migrate SoftNAS on AWS from VPC to VPC within a Region
- [SoftNAS KB]: Migrate a SoftNAS VPC on AWS between Regions