If migrating a high availability pairing of SoftNAS instances from version 3.3.3 or 3.3.4 , it is not as simple as using the one-click update on each side of the pairing. In order to preserve replication, and achieve a seamless migration, the following additional steps are required.
In this knowledge base article, we will provide you clear instruction on how to perform a successful software update from an HA pairing using version 3.3.3 or 3.3.4 to the latest version.
Sequence to upgrade and HA pair from 3.3.3/3.3.4 to 3.4.0 or newer
- Using your web browser log into the first VM in your pairing. Expand Settings in the left hand panel called Storage Administration and the select General System Settings.
- Expand Others and select Command Shell.
- Enter the text "curl https://www.softnas.com/software/hotfixes/hotfix-20151116-0000/hotfix-20151116-0000.sh | sh"
- Verify that the output of the command ends with "Done!" to ensure the hotfix has been applied correctly. If you experience any errors verify the text in the previous step was entered correct or contact SoftNAS support for assistance.
- Repeat steps 1-4 on the other VM in your pairing.
- Go to your browser, and log into the first VM in your pairing. Let's call it Node A. Once logged in, navigate to SnapReplicate/SNAP HA in the left hand panel called Storage Administration.
- Click Replicate Now. Confirm completion of the replication.
- Once replication is confirmed, return to Node A, and navigate to the SnapReplicate / SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Deactivate.
- Next, in your browser once more, enter the IP of Node B, and log in. Navigate to Settings/Software Updates and click Apply Update. Confirm the opdate is successful and refresh the browser.
- Return to Node A via your browser, and log back in (if not still logged in). Again, navigate to the SnapReplicate/SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Activate.
- Move to Node B (via another browser tab or window, and navigate to the SnapReplicate/SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Takeover. Node A will shut down and Node B will be promoted to Primary.
- In the AWS console (or VMware Vsphere, if applicable), start Node A. Confirm Node A is up, then proceed to the next step.
- Once back on Node B, navigate to the SnapReplicate/SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Deactivate. In some versions below 18.104.22.168, you might find that the Deactivate button is grayed out. If so, simply click Activate, then Deactivate.
- Open the SoftNAS web UI for Node A, navigate to Settings/Software Updates and click Apply Update.
- Confirm the Update is successful and refresh the browser.
- Open your browser to the SoftNAS web UI for Node B, and navigate to the SnapReplicate/SNAP HA menu. Click Action and then Activate.
- The system will then automatically synchronize via a forced sync.
If migrating a version of SoftNAS lower than 3.3.3, refer to the following knowledgebase articles in order to upgrade.
- [SoftNAS KB]: Migrate SoftNAS on AWS from VPC to VPC within a Region
- [SoftNAS KB]: Migrate a SoftNAS VPC on AWS between Regions