Once volumes are created, attach or detach volumes to an instance.
Attach a Volume
- To do so, on the Volumes page, select the volume to be attached to an instance.
- From the Actions drop down list, select Attach Volume.
The Attach Volume dialog will be displayed.
- Select the instance to be attached from the Instance drop down list.
Enter a device name for the EBS volume; e.g., /dev/sdf1, /dev/sdp15. Refer to EBS Volumes and Device Mappingfor more information on how best to allocate EBS volume device names.
- Click Attach.
The volume is now attached to a SoftNAS® instance.
Detach a Volume
Detach a volume from the attached instance.
- Select the volume to be detached from the instance.
- From the Actions drop down list, click Detach Volume.
WARNING - BE CAREFUL: Do not detach volumes from an active SoftNAS® instance unless the volume will be moving to a new instance, in which case, re-attach the EBS volumes and Import to regain access to data.
The Detach Volume message box asking to confirm the dissociation of address with the specific instance will be displayed.
- Click Yes, Detach. The selected volume will be detached from the instance.
Delete a Volume
Note: Permanent data loss can occur when EBS volumes are deleted.
- To delete a volume, select it from the Volumes page on EC2 dashboard.
- On the Actions drop down list, select the Delete Volume option and confirm by clicking Yes, Delete.
The selected volumes will be deleted.