To begin Lift and Shift configuration, we must first configure FlexFiles Settings.
Note: Make sure both nodes have been updated to the latest version and that both instances are running before beginning your Flex Files/Lift and Shift configuration. To update your instance, see Updating Software.
- Log into the source node - the instance currently hosting the data that you would like to 'shift'. Once logged into your source instance, whether on VMware, AWS or Azure, you will need to configure FlexFiles Settings to begin the Lift and Shift™ operation.The purpose of this step is to establish a secure exchange using encrypted protocols such as 2-way SSL.
- Select the FlexFiles Settings from the Storage Administration pane.
- In FlexFiles Settings, fill in the following information:
- This FlexFile Node - Upon opening the FlexFiles Settings panel, the private IP will auto-populate. Change this to the public-facing IP address of the current node (the IP address of the instance you are currently in).
- Web UI Port - As explained in Configuring Ports and Security Groups for Lift and Shift, the port used for the Web UI is 9443.
- Data Port - The Data Port is 8081.
- Architect Admin user name– This is the user which performs the actual set-up and execution of the Lift and Shift using FlexFiles.
- Select Configure FlexFiles. This will take about 2 minutes to complete.
The default location for the repository used by the Apache NiFi is displayed in the FlexFiles Repository Config. Over time the repository will grow and can cause the root disk to become full. Putting the repository on another device addresses this issue. SoftNAS recommends creating at least a 50GB device to serve as the repository location. The device can be either block or object storage.
Select Create New which will open a panel to allow you to provide the specific information to be used to create the new repository location.
- You can use your IAM policy to validate the creation of the disk device to be used. If you have a policy created and this box is checked, you will not need to provide the AWS Access key ID or Secret Access key.
- If not using IAM, provide the AWS Access Key ID.
- If not using IAM, provide the Secret Access Key.
- The recommended disk size is a minimum of 50GB, however you can specify larger if wanted.
- FlexFiles is the default pool name which can also be changed if you prefer something different.
- Home is the default for the volume name and can also be changed.
Select Configure Repository to apply these changes.
The loading process may take a minute or two so be patient. The setting is complete if no errors are reported and the new IP is displayed.
SoftNAS also recommends increasing the Maximum concurrent thread count from 10 to 20. Increasing this does impact the CPU use so it is important to ensure you monitor the Instance performance. Once the Apache NiFi is configured and the FlexFiles configuration is running, you can perform additional tuning of this parameter within FlexFiles Architect.
- Repeat the process for each target node, providing the public IP address of the node you are currently working with.